Saturday, September 22, 2007

List of Things You Might Not Know: Part 2

YEAH! We made it home safely. I have over 300 pictures from the week, so bear with me as I do a day at a time! We are definitely still adjusting to the time change as some of you may notice in the hours I posted comments last night. I was up unitl 2:30am, which translates to 11:30pm AZ time!! This house didn't wake up until 11:00am today!! Can't wait to catch up with everyone tomorrow at Church. We won't be hard to miss-the ones still half asleep becasue as I am preparing to do WORD at 9:30 it really will still translate 6:30am to my AZ body!!

Well, I wanted to get some thoughts in this morning (I guess it really is afternooon!), so here goes some more of my list...

5. I love movies! Although we did not watch a lot of TV growing up, I developed a love for movies. Black and white, silent, comedy, thriller/mystery, romance, I love it all. I am not a huge fan of horror movies and sci-fi flicks but have sat through some. My first "theater" movie was my sophomore year of college when Father of the Bride Part 1 came out!! Even then, my Dad had a hard time allowing us to go to the movies. Growing up, none of my friends went to the movies, so I didn't know I was missing anything and didn't think anything of it. One of my favorite things to do still now is to go to the Library, where movies are free, and look through old ones I may not have seen. I've done this with Audrey Hepburn movies and Shirley Temple movies. What's better over the holidays or on vacation days to rent the Anne of Green Gables saga or Gone with the Wind or The Blue and the Gray or any other sweeping epic miniseries??!!!! My next feat is to go through all of the movies that won the Oscar for Best Picture and watch those. Anyone got an absolute favorite to share? And by the way, who cares if I've seen it before! I've watched some movies more than a dozen times. Trevor knows this well as I can guess a movie based on some lines, the music, or a cast of characters!

6. Yes, I was a "band geek". I loved Marching Band in High School. Although playing my flute got old after a while, I loved the marching, the formations, the thrill of competition, watching bigger bands compete with the "sound" they could make that would fill the whole stadium, sitting with your comrads in matching sweatshirts, and giggling and hugging and squealing with pride when our was called to win a trophy!! I loved even more the leadership of being a Drum Major. I loved making music selections, helping with formations, passing on the excitement to a younger generation, leading the band onto the field to perform, making up our unique salute, adn our shining gold gloves!! Even now, as Trevor and I try to make it to some shows and competitions each year, I get choked up and cry at the excitment of it all!! What great years those were in my life. Too bad I gave it all up for a boy in college. Looking back I would have enjoyed my marching band years at Liberty had I stuck with it!! One of those minor regrets!

4 comments:

Katy said...

Welcome home!! How I missed you this week!! I tried your cell but found it was temporarily unavailable? Anyways, so glad you are back - although the coming back trip is definitely harder to adjust back to this time zone!!! At least you have today to try and right yourselves! Can't wait to see you tomorrow and start hearing all about the trip!! :)

Oh - and we love movies too - David REALLY loves them. I can't believe you were a drum major - that is SO cool!!

Heidi said...

I did know you were a movie buff, but didn't know you were a "band geek" HA!! Maybe one day your path will lead you back. Who knows right?

dandsratz said...

Janye! So I think that we need to have a "black & white" movie night!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE them...Dave HATE HATE HATES them...but with all of us together!!!???

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time believing you were ever a "geek" Even so, you are one geek this cheerleader would have loved to call FRIEND!