So I know that at this age they sop up everything like a sponge. I know Grayson's mind is ripe for learning and that his mental capacity is more than I think. Weeks ago Grayson started talking to me about letters and numbers, counting and writing his name. We were talking about pre-school, school and learning. I told him that my mom taught me my letters and numbers adn how to read books. "Well, learn me, Mommy" is what I got in response. The rest of that drive he was recognizing numbers and letters on signs as we drove through town. That was weeks ago and he hasn't let me forget.
As a trained teacher, I wasn't reluctant to teach him, I just didn't know where to begin with the whole thing. I didn't want to overwhelm him and me. I have taught kindergarten age before, but he is 3 with no formal learning experience! I ventured up into the attic and sorted through some of my teaching stuff and pulled down a few things. I just figured we would start with colors, shapes, numbers 1-10, and the letter 'Aa'.
I came out this morning to find Grayson laying on the floor and instead of watching cartoons, he was looking through my teaching books I had left out on the coffee table last night. OKAY, Okay, okay Grayson...I hear you loud and clear!!!!!
We sat down today after the Y and a shower. We went through shapes and colors and did some sorting in the crayon pocket chart (which I hung with nails to the wall!). We did number recognition and counting and talked a little bit about less and more. We moved from there to singing the alphabet song and correcting some of his favorite blunders when singing the letters ('e' was 'key' , the famous 'l,m,n,o,p' was something unrecognizable!! and 'x' was 'yex'). Then we started with uppercase and lowercase 'Aa'. I wrote the letters, he traced, we glued popsicle sticks and pom-poms to make the letters, and I guided him thorugh free-hand writing the letters.
Who knows what we are going to do tomorrow! I know I want to do nursery rhymes and a lot of other phonemic awareness activities, but I guess I should just start witht he basics. I just don't know whether to do the sounds with him or not, is he too young?! I guess we'll figure all that along the way. he loved his time of learning today. As long as he is content and wanting to do more, we'll keep at it.
SUCCESS FOR DAY ONE OF GRAYSON'S SCHOOL DAYS!!!!!




4 comments:
That little munchkin is so smart, he'll absorb every bit of what his FABULOUS mommy/teacher will have in store for him!! GOOO JAYNE!!!
Looks like you guys have been so hard at work!!! He seems very eager to learn. That's great!!
This all sounds very familiar! You're doing a great job - just let Grayson lead the way with what he's interested in. Make it play and have fun with it. You'll be amazed at how much he really absorbs!
You are super mom and that munchkin is so smart!!! Fantastic!
Post a Comment