Saturday, May 17, 2008

Strawberry pickin' in the country

Grayson and I had such a blast last year that we couldn't wait to get out there and do it again! We decided to go out into the "country" and pick this year. The weather last week was ideal for a day out picking, so we pulled on our rain boots, got our buckets,a nd off we went. Perfect time to go as there were 5 other people there. We had a great time, although Grayson wasn't as much help this year as he was last. He really wanted to get his bucket filled up to the top, so as I picked away, I found my yield getting less and less. Grayson was sneaking up and pulling the berries out of my bucket and into his!!
One of the best moments came when Grayson and I were walking down a row filled with water and mud. I had just finished telling him to walk because the mud was slippery and thick and he didn't want to get stuck. Well no sooner had I said this than he lost his balance. His boot was buried so deeply in the mud that he couldn't get it out to right himself and ended up seat first in the mud puddle. I had to laugh as he looked at me with those big brown eyes, 1/2 of his strawberry bucket spilled. Good thing this was early on or all my picking would have gone to the birds, literally! We had our good rain boots on and wind pants so by the time we left, he had already dried off.
We came home with some great strawberries, although I'm afraid that we'll be headed back out for more as I ruined most them. I am not an expert to say the least at what to do once the berry picking is done. No further detail needed, and Heidi don't you share my huge goof/blond moment!! Let's just say that I'll know better next time what to do with these berries as soon as I come home!!

As we were leaving the house in the morning, a stray cat came up purring and rubbing against our legs. I paid no attention and went straight to the car, but Grayson made a new friend. it took us a while to leave the driveway, and that was only after Grayson asked me 2-3 times if we could keep the cat!! He knows about allergies so I tried to nicely explain to him that we would never have a cat as a pet, outdoors or in!!!

4 comments:

Katy said...

Oh, yes, you do sort of have to DEAL with the strawberries pretty quickly. I know you were glad to have an excuse to pull out the boots and wear them again - so fun!!!

Jen said...

I think I need a few pointers on what to do with those berries too. I love to pick em but don't care to bother with them later!

Natalie said...

What fun!!!! Something I have yet to do this year, but at least I have enjoyed everyone else's stories.

Holly said...

Well hello Miss Jayne, greeting from Canada!

I can not believe how big your little man is getting...wow time does fly.

I have looked for you on Face Book, but had no luck...are you on there? If you are...please send me a friend request so you can see how much my babies have grown :)

I miss you, love,

Hol xoxo